My intention was and is to slowly but gradually build my own collection of links to Unusual Hotels – not necessarily hotels I would advise to stay in – but more or less to get some ideas of typical atypical hotels.
A weekend Hotel I could stay in myself, but definitely I don’t see me stay in every unusual hotel.
I Lost this page (like I lost all pages) and refound it again in spring 2016.
For a long time I used a script here of del.icio.us which replicated my link collection of unusual hotels in Delicious on this page. Why hand code a list if del.icio.us does a better job?
Then it appeared that del.icio.us discontinued its operations somewhere in April-May 2016
…and in autumn 2016 it seems in operation again. However, some functionality didn’t come back. And it is not possible to make lists from the urls you save in delicious. So we’re back to hand coding the lists.
A hand coded list of Unusual Hotels by Happy Hotelier:
It will take some time until this list will be complete off course. Probably it will never be complete.
For a long time I have believed hotels with full hotel services, but with a limited number of rooms to be unusual. I believe that when we started Haagsche Suites in The Hague it to be an unusual hotel, but since we started I’ve seen many luxurious hotels and B&B’s being created.
Unusual has more to do with the theme or the location of a hotel. For example an Ice hotel is unusual. Sleeping in a hotel in a former railroad station or bank or prison is unusual and there are more examples of couse. My lis is at random and will remain at random.
- Das Park Hotel Sleep in a converted drain pipe
- 5 rooms Hotel
- Design Hotels London & Amsterdam: Qbic Hotels
- Hotel Tresanton | Olga Polizzi’s hotel on the Cornish Coast | Boutique Hotel | St Mawes | Cornwall | England | Luxury | 5 star
- Vandrarhem, Hotel Arlanda, Billigt Boende Arlanda – Jumbo Stay
- GRUPO HABITA
- dasparkhotel | Andi Strauss´ place
- SafariLand Resorts
- Hotell p� v�stkusten i Bohusl�n. V�lkomna till Salt & Sill p� Tj�rn. – Salt & Sill
- citizenM Hotels | Trendy Boutique Hotels | Book Online
- Home | Hotel De Watertoren | Zaal huren in Dordrecht
- Iglu-Dorf Home – Hotel Bar Restaurant Events – das Original
- Icehotel Holidays | Icehotel Sweden – Discover the World
- Home | Hotel De Watertoren | Zaal huren in Dordrecht
- Snowhotel in Lapland – SnowVillage
- Lighthouse Harlingen – Special stay in a lighthouse
- Lifeboat Harlingen – Special stay in a lifeboat
- Harbourcrane Harlingen – Special stay in a Harbourcrane
- Kokopelli’s Cave B&B–www.kokocave.com | Farmington, New Mexico | Northwest New Mexico | BBOnline.com
- North Korea's "Secret" Hotel • Damn Interesting
- Original rock n roll Brighton boutique hotel – Hotel Pelirocco
- Key Largo Undersea Park Home of Jules Undersea Lodge
- Långholmen Hotel Södermalm Stockholm
- Gastwerk Hotel Hamburg – Hamburg’s first Design Hotel
- Dog Bark Park Inn | Dog Folk Art Chainsaw Gallery | Cottonwood Idaho USA — Bed & Breakfast | Chainsaw Art
- Old Railway Station Hotel – Bed And Breakfast Accommodation in Petworth West Sussex
- Galactic Suite Space Hotel – Design Build Network
- Sprookje van 1001 nacht beleven in een bruiloft of huwelijkstent van Bosjuweel authentieke tenten verhuur
- Book hotel in Stockholm | Stay centrally at Nordic Light Hotel
- Icehotel Sweden
- De Koperen Hoogte – Toplocatie aan de A28
- Home Page
- HOOIBERG | 't Lingeveld Bed & Breakfast
- The Library Hotel New York – Official Site – Best luxury boutique hotel Manhattan – 2014
- Hotel Het Oude Postkantoor – Brummen review of Dutch hotel in a former Post Office
- Grand Hotel de Kromme RaakeThe exception: The One Room Hotel in NL
- Gornergrat Hotel
- Review of the Berlin Art Louise Hotel
Last edited by gje on December 4, 2016
9 thoughts on “Unusual Hotels”
here’s something for your consideration – a new Hotel concept opening up in London:
ARTS CLUB HOTELS
If you want to combine a good night out with a good night in, then London’s latest hotel group may have the perfect answer.
Guest Hotels have launched the world’s first arts club hotels – five London hotels dedicated to the contemporary arts scene. Guests will be treated to an eclectic mix of performance arts before climbing the stairs for good night’s sleep in luxury surroundings.
The idea is the brainchild of British Entrepreneur Johnny Sandelson who said:
“Until now, hotels have used art as decoration. We are reversing that concept by allowing artists to use our hotels as their showcase.”
There are five hotels in the group including the iconic Blakes in Kensington.
The Concierge Club is an exclusive members club promising access to the best of London’s emerging artists with shows inside the hotels and entry to special events at any one of a growing list of art community partners such as The Tate and the Institute of Contemporary Arts. The first 1,000 members to sign up receive a free nights stay in one the Guest Hotels and a special rate of Â£180 (usual price Â£240). So it’s definitely worth signing up now!
Website: guesthotels.com [ed. deleted the link as it was broken]
The hottest clubs in town have the longest waiting lists. It’s the price you pay to be part of the scene. But, we want to let you in to a trade secret…
If you join before the club is open, you’ll get to the top of the list- and bag yourself a fabulous deal on fees!
Here’s what you’ll get:
Invitations to private views and exhibitions at the ICA, The Tate ,The V&A, the Architecture Foundation and many other arts venues (find out more about this and our Sleeping Partners
Free entry to an ever-expanding list of galleries and museums.
Access to exclusive events in Guest Hotels.
Gain entry to ‘closed door’ cultural events at our Hotel locations throughout London. Each hotel has its own character, style and artistic program.
An annual Summer Party to rival the best parties in the capital.
Members’ events and behind the scenes tours, including Borough Market, Brick Lane, Camden Pub crawls and Mayfair nights.
All of Cultural London in hand, with a Lifestyle Concierge service included!
Tried to catch you up in a Woopra chat, but you were gone. Do you have some pictures that I can show in a post?
I believe that a unusual Venice Hotel can be the Ca’ Pisani, the first Design Hotel in the city, opened in year 2000 all completely restored has original forniture of the 40’s and 50’s including beds, paintings, carpets and much more!
Hola ! If you are coming to Argentina , we recomend you visit the Northwest , mainly the Province of Jujuy . In Yala , 13 kms from San Salvador de Jujuy , La Casona del Camino Real is a small charming hotel , built in an elegant rustic style , where you will feel at home with the servicies of a fancy Hotel . In the Gourmet Restaurant , you can taste dishes of the regional cuisine , accompanied by a great wine list. The Hotel also has a relax center and a 4 holes Golf court.
Hello, we have just opened a design aparthotel here in Barcelona.
Hope you like our website, even if we are still working on it in order to make it better.
If you want to keep yourself updated about what goes on in Barcelona follow us Twitter: TheUrbanSuites
Check out these unusual hotels and places to stay in the UK! http://www.bedsearcher.co.uk/8-incredible-piers-and-jetties.html
Talking about unusual: you can stay in a hidden church in the heart of Amsterdam. It dates back from the times that Catholics were forbidden to practice services. So they hid their churches in attics and alleys. It has been restored and is now in use as a extraordinary studio apartment.
A few weeks ago we stayed at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe (UK). The town isn’t much of a place, but when the hotel sets the standard, it will be in the future. Best place we’ve been for a long time. Best advise: book one of the suites on the top floor.
If you want a unique experience, check out our new Stayokay Rotterdam hostel. It’s located in the world famous Rotterdam Cube Houses, where no angle is straight and no two rooms are alike.
The Cube Houses were designed by the Dutch architect Piet Blom and were built between 1982 and 1984. The unique architecture has been an attraction for tourists from the Netherlands and abroad for 25 years now. In December 2009, the Cube Houses became the most modern of Rotterdam’s listed buildings.
The expressive and colourful cube-shaped houses on concrete pillars are located right in the heart of the city, near the Old Harbour. All forty-nine rooms, with a total of 245 beds, are equipped with their own shower and toilet. No two rooms are alike. The light is different everywhere, as are the dimensions and the view from the Cube Houses. In some rooms, the walls slope towards you, whereas in others, they slope away from you. In order to accentuate the cube effect, an extra cube hangs in the platform of the main building, its tip pointing downward. Four catwalks and a lift bisect this cube and connect the floors. Spending the night in a tilted cube is quite a unique experience!